A stunning modern 3-storey home was created by replacing an existing 1950s bungalow and re-positioning the building to maximise views over the surrounding Essex countryside.
The design is a modern take on open-plan living, providing flow and privacy for a multi-generational home. The main entrance is angled, creating space for a central feature staircase housed within a render wrap/slate facade. The split-slate cladding provides a textured feature to the entrance and relates to the dark grey slate roof of the property, tying the colour palette together. The front of the house is flooded with natural light from the glazed curtain walling to make a dramatic entrance to the property.
When designing a residential space, the type and size of windows and doors is important, as they set the tone for the whole project. For this property differing window placements create drama as well as framing the view from different vantage points. The master suite with vaulted ceilings introduces unique angled windows, matching the pitch of the roof and balcony.
A simple selection of materials complements the property’s unique form, creating a stunning piece of architecture.
- The main accommodation was moved to the side elevation to overlook fields and the central London skyline. This view had previously been closed off by the original building’s orientation
- Material palette included; render, aluminium windows, and a 3-storey split slate entrance strip alongside a curtain wall of the same height
- Heat recovery system installed
- Structural insulated panels were used as the construction system. Its innovative use on this build won Gold for our supplier, SIPCO, at the Structural Timber Awards 2016
- Stepped internal floors create defined living zones, without breaking the flow through the property
About Clear Architects
Clear Architects is a boutique architectural practice based in Loughton, Essex. It specialises in high-end design architectural projects for budgets from £350,000 to £20million and operates across residential and commercial builds. Clear Architects has been Highly Commended by The Sunday Times British Home Awards, The RICS Awards, and Grand Designs Live. Melanie Clear is a media commentator for trade, regional and national media. www.cleararchitects.co.uk.