40 Hill Road – Residential Erase & Replace
Key design features
- The main entrance is angled to create space for a grand central staircase, which is housed within a feature render wrap, flooded with natural light from the glazed curtain walling.
- The split slate cladding provides a textured feature to the entrance that contrasts with the black slate roof of the property, tying the colour palette together.
- Inset relief elevation with dark grey render adds visual interest to the otherwise white render throughout.
- Glazed balcony with sliding doors to the master bedroom
- Different window treatments throughout provide structural interest but also flood the house with light and allow different views from every angle of the building.
- 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, large open plan landing with integrated study area.
Designing the interior space is often determined by the placement of doors and windows. For this project, the clients wanted an open-plan feel but with defined areas. I designed a large open-plan living/kitchen/dining room with each component on a different floor level, to create subliminal zoning and different window treatments to each area. The polished concrete floor runs throughout the room to create continuity. A discrete white screen at half height creates a divide between the living and dining areas but doesn’t affect the spatial awareness. Separate family areas are provided by a large lounge and cosy snug.
Set over 3 floors, the large floor plan allowed us to provide a master suite to the third floor. At the second floor there are 2 guest suites and a further 2 bedrooms which share a jack & jill bathroom.
About Clear Architects
- Melanie Clear is the founder and Director of Clear Architects
- Established ten years ago, the Studio has 9 staff and is based in Loughton, Essex
- Clear Architects work on commissions throughout London & the South East
- Awards: Shortlisted for the RICS East of England Awards 2015 in the Community Benefit category. Shortlisted for the New London Architecture Awards 2015 in the Health and Care category. Commended by The Sunday Times British Home Awards 2013 in the Conversion, Restoration or Refurbishment category.
- Visit www.clear.gb.com. Tel: 0208 502 5585